Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My first email newsletter - May 2002 - a long, long time ago!

A Dietitian's Cancer Story Newsletter: May 2002
Dear Friends,
This is my first Email update to those of you who have signed my mailing list, written me via Email, or have given me your email address over the past several years. I have included quite a bit of interesting information, but I have also kept it short enough to be easily readable. I am always interested in feedback. Please feel free to tell me what other types of information you would like included in future issues. Future editions will come as I have time to pull new information together.
Contents:
I - New book announcement!
II - Web site updates
III - Summer recipe
IV - A Reader's Tip
V - Research update
VI - Recent publicity on the web
VII - Removal instructions
*************

I - New 2002 Edition of A Dietitian's Cancer Story
I have just published the 2002 edition of A Dietitian's Cancer Story, the 8th time I have reprinted it since I stapled the very first edition together at Kinko's in June 1997!
I have reviewed everything in the book, making updates here and there. In addition, I also added much new information, including extensive sections on two controversial issues:
(1) the use of soy by breast cancer patients and
(2) the use of of antioxidants during chemotherapy or radiation therapy.

I also reorganized the contents of the book and changed the inside layout, both changes designed to make the book easier to read, AND, I have finally changed the cover, from one that has been nicely functional all these years to one that is simply gorgeous.
You may see the new book cover and the Table of Contents on my web site, http://www.CancerRD.com, along with ordering information. In addition, my web site has an ever-growing compilation of favorite cancer-fighting recipes, Internet links of importance to people with a cancer diagnosis, and answers to many commonly asked questions I have received over the years.
I donate proceeds from the sale of A Dietitian's Cancer Story, and the Spanish edition of my book, to an endowment fund I have established at the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) in Washington, DC. The Diana Dyer Cancer Survivors' Nutrition and Cancer Research Endowment funds research projects that will help define nutritional strategies, either during treatment or recovery, that will optimize the odds for long-term survival after a cancer diagnosis. I have helped to fund 2 research projects already, which has been very meaningful to me.
Thank you to those of you who have purchased previous editions of my book. I appreciate your past support and know you will love the new edition. Even if you don't purchase a copy for yourself, please ask your cancer center or local library to consider purchasing several copies to add to their resources of *information & inspiration* for cancer patients.
***********

II - Web site Updates
I recently re-organized the page of Questions & Answers
http://www.cancerrd.com/FAQs.htm on my web site to be easier to both browse and find a Q&A of your specific interest. I am always adding new information to this site, so check back often.
***********

III - Summer Recipe
It's grilling season again for those of us who live in the colder parts of the country. Here is a very tasty marinade that you can use on any type of meat, tofu, tempeh, or veggies.

"Southwest Marinade"
This recipe was developed by the dietitians at The University of Michigan's Health Promotion Division. This marinade was used to season the chicken fajita's at my son's high school graduation party last year, which were a huge hit!

Also use this marinade mixture to season any type of meat, firm tofu, and cut up veggies. Marinate in the refrigerator from 1 hour (seafood, tofu, and vegetables) to overnight (thicker cuts of meats).
Using a zipper-top plastic bag for mixing the ingredients and then marinating directly in the bag is soooo easy!
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. curry
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar (I use only 1 tsp.)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil

I use this marinade on slices of extra-firm tofu (cut a 1 pound block into 6-8 slices) and simply bake in an oven-proof dish sprayed with non-stick spray at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, cool, and refrigerate to put in to sandwiches at a late time.
"Diana's Favorite Sandwich"
My favorite sandwich contains 2 slices of baked tofu, 1/4 avocado sliced thin or simply mashed and spread on 1 large slice of whole grain bread (Honey Whole Wheat from Great Harvest is my favorite bread), broccoli sprouts, and hummus or black bean dip spread on the other slice of whole grain bread. Yum, yum. Serve with fresh fruit and iced green tea.
**********

IV - A Reader's Tip (submitted to me via Email) from T. Winter
in Kentucky

"Tofu Toast"
On a piece of whole grain unbuttered toast, I spread a thin amount of my favorite jam (orange marmalade). On top of the jam I put 2 slices (1/4-1/2" thick) of well-drained
regular or firm tofu, side-by-side (I use about 4 ounces of non-GMO tofu). I sometimes forgo the jam, put the tofu directly on the toast and sprinkle with cinnamon, with or
without a small touch of honey or sprinkle of sugar. When using cinnamon only, I like to drink fruit juice along with, because it's pretty dry this way, and the juice adds
flavor (and cancer-fighting phytochemicals) too.

I especially like the ease and quickness of preparation (it's truly fast food!) and find it to be filling as well. I know I've had my soy "minimum" for the day (1 serving) and don't have to worry about how to get it later in the day.
I know I could make the breakfast tofu a little fancier by marinating &/or baking it, but I've been eating this way for more than 5 years now and never get around to such
embellishments. I realize this recipe may not appeal to everyone but my "Tofu Toast" suits me just fine - Enjoy!

Another great way (in addition to Diana's SuperSoy and Phytochemical Shake Recipe -
http://www.cancerrd.com/Recipes/supersoy1.htm) of consuming a serving of soyfood at breakfast.
**********

V - Research Update
Vitamin A intake and hip fractures among post-menopausal women, J. American Medical Assoc. 2002, Jan 2:287(1):102-4, authors - Feskanich, D et al.
This recent research may not have made the headlines in your newspaper or nightly TV news, but this information is very important for everyone concerned about preventing or reversing osteoporosis. In addition, it is of particular interest to women who have been pushed into early menopause due to cancer treatments and now have an increased risk of early onset osteoporosis.
A thorough discussion of this important research, along with my recommendations, has just been added to my web site's page of Q&A http://www.cancerrd.com/FAQs/FAQ46.htm.
******

VI - In addition to doing more public speaking this year, Diana has been interviewed for many articles in the media and two PBS documentaries over the past year.
The PBS documentary Breast Cancer: Surviving and Winning - Part 1 was shown around the country during 2001 . The sequel, Breast Cancer:Surviving and Winning - Part 2, is currently being shown on PBS stations. Check that web site
http://www.survivingandwinning2.com for schedule information and a nice section on Diana http://www.survivingandwinning2.com/breakthroughs/nutrition/diet_aicr_dd.htm.

Here are a few articles you may have seen during the past year in which Diana has also been quoted:
* October 2001 on-line edition of the Canadian Association of Retired Persons, an article about my book and approach to healing.
* October 2001 issue of Kentuckiana HealthFitness Magazine, article on nutrition and healing during cancer recovery.
* Detroit Free Press, Nov. 20, 2001, article on Phantom Breast Pain.
* Feb/March 2002 issue of MAMM magazine, article about the use of vitamins during cancer therapy.
* March 2002 issue of In-Touch Magazine, article entitled The Diet-Cancer Connection.
* The San Diego Union-Tribune on April 24, 2002, an article called Plant Power!
* Mailbag section of the April 2002 issue of Prevention Magazine, my comments about the controversies surrounding the use of antioxidants during cancer therapy.
********

VII - Removal from future Email updates from Diana Dyer. I know that life changes over time. Thus, if you are not interested in receiving future updates and announcements
from me via Email or have other subscription requests, please Email that information to Newsletter@CancerRD.com.

For those of you who choose to remain on this list, be assured that I will never share your name or Email address with anyone.
I send my best wishes to all of you for health, healing, and hope!
Diana
--
Diana Grant Dyer, MS, RD - Author
A Dietitian's Cancer Story (English and Spanish translation)
Available from AICR (call 1-800-843-8114)
My Web site: www.CancerRD.com

"Information and inspiration for cancer survivors"
Proceeds donated to the Diana Dyer Cancer Survivors'
Nutrition and Cancer Research Endowment at the
American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR).

No comments:

Post a Comment