Monday, October 17, 2011

Recipe - My Granola

When I was in graduate school during the mid-1970’s, I made a granola recipe that I ate for breakfast nearly every day for five years, maybe longer. Somewhere along the way I got out of the habit of making my own, but recently I have gotten tired of trying brand after brand and finding them all too sweet and all too expensive. So I started on a quest for my old recipe, which I could not find. So after looking in all my old cookbooks and all my new cookbooks, I cobbled together many ideas combining what I wanted for both tasty and healthy ingredients.

Here is my new up to date recipe:
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ, untoasted
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup soy nuts (unsalted)
  • 1 cup dry textured soy protein (I bought textured vegetable protein, TVP, by Bob’s Red Mill, which is simply defatted soy flour)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1/4 cup apple cider (use any kind of juice or juice concentrate if a stronger flavor is desired)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. Ginger)
  • 2 Tbsp. Canola oil (measure before honey, then honey should slide right out of your measuring cup)
Directions:
  • Mix all dry ingredients together in large oven proof baking dish (I use the bottom half of a medium sized Dutch oven) or baking sheet with raised edges. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl and then pour over oat mixture. Stir to thoroughly mix.
  • Bake at a slow 250 degree oven until golden brown, stirring every 20-30 minutes. This may take 2-3 hours depending on the size of the pan or baking sheet. Be careful not to burn.
When there is ~30 more minutes of baking left , I stir in 1 cup of dried fruit like dates, cherries, blueberries, apples, apricots, or raisins, all cut into raisin size pieces.

(Guess what? My sister-in-law found her copy of my old recipe and (except for the flax seeds) it is remarkably similar to what I am doing now. I guess I must have remembered the great taste!)

Makes 7-8 cups, approximately 15-1/2 cup servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment